Below are some of our most frequently asked questions. If your question is not answered here, please contact us.
1. WHAT ARE YOUR RATES?
Answering a question about rates isn’t as clear cut as saying we charge X for X number of words. How much a translation costs depends on a number of factors including:
- The language needed. Some languages are more expensive to translate than others, whether due to limited availability or the time they require.
- When it’s needed by. Longer deadlines are likely to be cheaper than last minute deadlines that require a very quick turnaround.
- How big the document is. In general, the smaller the document the cheaper it’ll be.
- The number of repetitions in the document. If a document has the same word or group of words more than once, this can be counted as a repetition and dealt with as such, thereby reducing costs.
2. HOW QUICKLY CAN YOU GET MY TRANSLATION DONE?
Answering a question around timings warrants a similar response to rates. In general, we advise our clients that our translators are able to translate around 2,000 words a day. However, we must take the following things into consideration too before providing a final estimate:
- It depends again on the language. For some languages there are fewer translators available, which can increase the deadline. However, if a translator is available right there and then, the deadline can be shorter.
- How quickly the client can provide us with the copy. Speedier clients are likely to get speedier results.
- When the client needs the translation back by. In all circumstances, we will aim to be as flexible as humanly possible.
3. ARE THE TRANSLATORS YOU USE QUALIFIED?
In a word, yes. Our translators are the backbone of our business and they are crucial to delivering accurate, high quality translations. To ensure we achieve our own high standards on every single project we undertake, we have strict minimum prerequisites that our translators must comply with prior to working with us. To see this list in full, please click here.
4. CAN YOU OFFER ME A DISCOUNT?
We always try to offer the best price for every project. Where there are large volumes involved and time and resources permit, we may be able to offer better prices. In this, too, flexibility is key. And as time goes by, the more you work with us, the more reference material we can have on file which can be used to reduce costs and timings.
5. ARE YOUR TRANSLATORS NATIVE SPEAKERS OF THE LANGUAGE THEY’RE TRANSLATING INTO?
Yes. However please note for verbatim (responses) translations into English, transcriptions or audio translations we use the best translators for the job which mean we may select a linguist or linguists who are native in the source language and may be better at capturing and translating more informal language into English than native English speaking translators. We will always pick the best and most appropriate translator for the job. Knowledge of the source language is just as important however as knowledge of the target language, so the translators we used have to be fully conversant with the former and mother-tongue natives of the latter.
6. ARE YOUR TRANSLATORS BASED IN THE TARGET MARKET COUNTRY?
Yes, the majority of our translators are based in the country whose language they are translating. We do find, however, that living in the country whose language they are translating from, carries benefits of its own. English, for example, is a language that changes almost daily and being up to date with the latest terms and expressions is crucial in translation.
7. IN CASE OF TIGHT DEADLINES DO YOU HAVE TRANSLATORS BASED IN DIFFERENT TIME ZONES?
Yes, we have a large pool of translators available, many of whom are based in different time zones; a bonus for times when deadlines are tight. The majority are ITI or CIOL qualified, or hold a similar industry accreditation in their own country, meaning that wherever they are based they are required to travel to their native countries annually and keep abreast of any language developments. Having translators who are based all over the world means if a translation request comes in at 5pm UK time, we can send it to one of our translators in a country with a different time zone, like Australia, to ensure the work is completed overnight.
8. WHAT FORMATS CAN YOU WORK IN?
Our translators are highly flexible so we can use most formats that clients need us to work in, including XML and XLF files. Other common formats include MS word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF and HTML.
9. ARE YOUR TRANSLATORS EXPERIENCED IN TRANSLATING XML FILES OR WORKING IN ONLINE TRANSLATING/EDITING SURVEY SOFTWARE E.G. CONFIRMIT?
We use a range of online survey software for translation/editing purposes with logins provided by our clients. We train our translators to use these software products and have a long history working with the translator module of Confirmit as well as SurveyGizmo and Intellireview to name but a few.
10. HOW ACCURATE WILL MY TRANSLATION BE?
Extremely accurate! Our translators only specialise in a few subject areas, which means they are experts in in their chosen industries and the specialist knowledge and terminology used in those sectors. One of the advantages of using The Language Factory is that we can easily locate the most suitable linguist for your project using our vast network of carefully selected translators.